Porcelain veneers can give you the megawatt smile you’ve always wanted. They are a cosmetic dental treatment that creates bright, evenly sized, and perfectly shaped teeth. Veneers are a non-invasive treatment performed in your cosmetic dentist's office, without the need for any incisions, or sutures. Read on for everything to know about how veneers work.
Who Makes a Good Candidate for Veneers?
The best candidates for porcelain veneers are those who wish to improve the appearance of their smile. Imperfections in the teeth that porcelain veneers can correct include:
- Discolored teeth
- Permanently stained teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Worn teeth
- Slightly crooked teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Small gaps between teeth
- Small teeth
To be eligible for veneers, your dentist will need to confirm the following:
- You do not grind your teeth at night
- You do not have gum disease
- You do not have fractured teeth
- You have sufficient tooth enamel
- Your teeth are not significantly misaligned
- You do not have large gaps
- You are free of cavities and infections
Getting Veneers: What to Expect
The process of getting veneers will require three dental appointments. During your initial consultation, your dentist will evaluate your teeth, gums, and bite to confirm your mouth is healthy. Your dentist will thoroughly explain the next steps and a timeline for completion of your treatment. During this initial appointment, your dentist will also take impressions of your mouth. The impressions will be used to create both your temporary veneers and the permanent veneers that will be bonded to your teeth.
At your second appointment, your dentist will begin preparing your teeth for the veneers. This involves the removal of a thin layer of enamel. Your mouth will be anesthetized, so the process is not painful. The teeth may also be contoured during this appointment. Before leaving you’ll be fitted with temporary veneers.
At your third and final appointment, your custom-made porcelain veneers will be bonded to your teeth. Your dentist may recommend fitting you for a custom night guard during this appointment to protect your new veneers.
Caring for Porcelain Veneers: Best Practices
Once you’ve invested in a beautiful smile, it’s important to protect it. Although porcelain veneers are durable, lasting 10-20 years or longer, there are steps you can take to keep them looking beautiful.
- Practice excellent oral hygiene at home (brushing 2x/day, flossing daily)
- See your dentist every six months for an exam and professional cleaning
- Do not chew on pens, hard candies, fingernails, or ice
- Do not use your teeth to open bottles or packaging
- Wear a sports guard when playing sports
- Wear a custom night guard when you sleep
- Use a straw when drinking beverages that cause staining (coffee, bright-colored fruit juices, tea)
- Limit enamel-eroding sugary snacks
If you have any questions or concerns about caring for your veneers, be sure to address them with your dentist.
Book a Cosmetic Dental Consultation for Veneers in Glen Cove, NY
As a 5.0 Google-reviewed cosmetic dentist, Dr. Andrew Sami provides porcelain veneers, in addition to a variety of other treatments to help you achieve a beautiful smile. To book an appointment at Gold Coast Smiles, call 516-676-0250 or book your appointment online.